"Running is so symbolic of life. You have to drive yourself to overcome the obstacles. You might feel that you can't. But then you find your inner strength and realize you're capable of so much more than you thought". - Arthur Black
Whether you're a beginner runner or training to be an elite runner, there is much to benefit from having a running mantra. Your mantra can be a simple word or a whole phrase, but when repeated: it aids in concentration, motivation, helps you overcome pain & subsequently improves performance.
You see, mantras help to get you through the toughest part of a run by pushing out negative thoughts and focusing on positive ones. When you think positively and believe in yourself, you’re more likely to perform well.
But the key to a mantra is to find one that resonates with you, and makes an emotional connection. Then, each time you repeat it, your brain and body will learn to respond (and the more you use it, the more it becomes ingrained in you).
The more I run, the more I believe that running is a mental sport more than anything else. Yes, you have to be fit, put the training in, but you have to keep your mind in check at all times to truly succeed and meet your goals.
If you are looking for a little extra motivation: here are my favorite Running Mantras to help keep you in motion!
1. If I've done it before, I can do it again!
2. I don't stop when I'm tired, I stop when I'm done!
3. Stronger and stronger with every mile!
4. You were strong enough to get this far. You are strong enough to keep going.
5. Strong, Smart, Steady/ Run strong, run smart, run steady!
6. Pain is temporary. Pride is forever:).
7. Fast or slow, it hurts the same.
8. The body achieves what the mind believes.
9. This too shall pass
10. You're strong, keep pushing!
11. Run the mile you are in.
12. Earn it! / Earn your progress!
13. Just run! You've got this!
14. You can do anything for one more mile!
15. The difference between winning and losing is not quitting.
16. What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.
17. The faster you run, the faster you’re done.
18. This is a gift, enjoy it.
19. Have faith, and enjoy the ride!
20. You can't get much done in life if you only work on days when you feel good.
I hope you enjoyed these! Now, it's your turn, what's your running mantra?